To make sure you stay informed of all changes, you should check these policies periodically. Updates will be referenced by the "Last Updated" date shown above.
We may collect the following types of Personal Information about you as described below:
- (A) Personal Information you provide to us,
- (B) Personal Information we may automatically collect, and
- (C) Personal Information we may receive from third parties.
In using our Websites or Services, you may provide us with Personal Information, which may include (the examples provided are illustrative and not intended to be exhaustive):
- Contact information such as name, email address, postal address and telephone number(s);
- Demographic information such as birth date or gender;
- Account information and log in credentials, including unique identifiers such as username and password;
- Payment and transaction information including credit or bank card information;
- Preferences for communications;
- Communications and opinions in chat rooms, message boards, forums, surveys, polls, and online forms;
- Access to your geo-location (including through our mobile app) or to other data held on social media platforms and other software (for example, access to your contacts, calendar or photos);
- Photos and/or videos; and
- Any additional information that we describe to you, when we collect your data with your consent.
Our Websites and Services may automatically collect certain Personal Information about you. This Personal Information may include (the examples provided are illustrative and not intended to be exhaustive):
- IP address, which is the number associated with the service through which you access the Internet, such as through your ISP (Internet service provider);
- Date and time of your visit or use of our Websites or Services;
- Domain server from which you are using our Websites or Services;
- Type of computer, web browsers, search engine used, operating system, or platform you use;
- Data identifying the web pages you visited prior to and after visiting our Websites or using our Services;
- Your movement and activity within the website, which is aggregated with other Personal information;
- Geo-location information through the use of any of our mobile applications;
- Mobile device information, including the type of device you use, operating system version, and the device identifier (or “UDID”); and
- Mobile application identification and behavior, use, and aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from.
We may collect additional Personal Information about you from third-party websites, social media platforms, such as, but not limited, to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat (“Social Media Platforms”), third party data providers, and sources providing publicly-available Personal information (e.g., from the U.S. postal service) for the purposes described in Section 3 below.
Personal Information we may access from Social Media Platforms may include, but is not limited to:
- Your Social Media Platform login information
- Your location data
- Your profile information
- Your list of contacts, friends or followers
- Certain Personal Information about your activities on the Social Media Platform
Please keep in mind that when you provide Personal Information to us on a third-party website or platform (for example, via our applications), the Personal Information you provide may be separately collected by the third-party website or the Social Media Platform. Please review the privacy policies of the applicable third-party website or Social Media Platform for their privacy practices.3. HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use and process your Personal Information for the following types of purposes (the examples provided are illustrative and not intended to be exhaustive).
- To provide you with the Websites and Services, and related promotions, newsletters and information you request
- To respond to your inquiries and provide you with requested information and other communications, including by email, chat or text messages, and including alerts, notification of promotions, contests, and events
- For marketing and advertising purposes, including sending you promotional material or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our marketing partners and/or their respective affiliates and other third parties, provided that you have not already opted-out of receiving such communications
- For billing and payment processing
- To deliver personalized advertising and content
- To fulfill contracts we have with you
- To manage, improve and foster relationships with third-party service providers, including vendors, suppliers, and parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and business partners
- To maintain, improve, customize, or administer the Websites and Services, perform business analyses, or other internal purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Websites and the Services, resolve technical problems, or improve security or develop other products and services
- To comply with our Terms of Service
- To perform analytics for business purposes and business intelligence, such as monitoring traffic to our Websites, counting ad impressions, and auditing legal and regulatory compliance
- To maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Websites, products and Services, databases and other technology assets and our business, including preventing fraud, detecting security breaches and prosecuting violators
- To identify and repair errors in our Websites' functionality
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, in which Personal Information we hold is among the assets transferred
- To comply with any applicable laws and regulations and respond to lawful requests; and/or
- For any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your Personal Information and/or pursuant to your consent
We may disclose your Personal Information to other parties, including:
- Our affiliates
- Service providers
- Advertisers, advertising technology companies, analytics companies and other third parties with whom we have business relationships
- Government regulators
- Our legal advisors and parties involved in a legal process
- To an entity involved in the sale of our business
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your Personal Information in connection with products or Services we provide to you
Yes. Cookies and similar technologies are small files that a website or its service provider transfers to a computer’s hard drive through a Web browser (if the user allows) that enables the website’s or service provider’s systems to recognize the user’s browser and capture and remember certain information.
In addition, you may opt out of certain interest-based advertising by using the following resources:
- (a) You may opt-out of tracking and receiving tailored advertisements on your mobile device by some mobile advertising companies and other similar entities by downloading the App Choices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices.
- (b) You may opt-out of receiving permissible targeted advertisements by using the NAI Opt-out tool available at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1 or visiting About Ads at http://optout.aboutads.info.
- (c) You may opt-out of having your activity on our Websites and Services made available to Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics opt-out add-on for your web browser by visiting: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout for your web browser.
We use commercially reasonable procedures and various technical, administrative and physical safeguards to help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information. However, you should assume that no data transmitted over the Internet or stored or maintained by us or our third-party service providers can be 100% secure. Therefore, although we believe the measures implemented by us reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved, we do not promise or guarantee, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information or private communications will always remain private or secure. We do not guarantee that your Personal Information will not be misused by third parties. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security features.
If you believe that your Personal Information has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorized person, please promptly Contact Us so that necessary measures can quickly be taken.7. ACCESSING, CORRECTING, OR DELETING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
As required by applicable laws, and subject to any permitted exceptions and limitations, we will comply with any verified consumer request you submit with respect to your Personal Information. Please submit a verifiable consumer request to us through the web form link provided below in Contact Us.8. TRANSFERS
Your Personal Information may be stored, transferred to, and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. These countries may be outside the United States, and may have different data protection laws than in the United States.9. AGGREGATE AND DE-IDENTIFIED INFORMATION
Gannett is the controller (as defined under the GDPR) for processing and using the Personal Data of individuals within the EEA or UK that is collected through our Site. Please see the “Contact Us” section below to find out how to contact us.11.2. Rights of Individuals Based in the EEA
Subject to applicable law, you may be able to exercise any of the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right to know what information we have about you: This is known as the "right of access" and gives you the right to find out what, if any, Personal Data we have about you, how we process it, and to request a copy of the Personal Data.
- Right to correct your information: This is known as the "right of rectification" and gives you the right to ask that we correct or complete any Personal Data we have about you.
- Right to delete your information: This is known as the "right to erasure" or "right to be forgotten" and gives you the right to ask us to delete your Personal Data.
- Right to change how we use your information: This is known as the "right to restrict processing" and gives you the right to ask us to change how we use your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of the data or object to us using it in a certain way.
- Right to move your information: This is known as the "right to data portability" and gives you the right to ask to receive your Personal Data from us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to have it transmitted to another controller.
- Right to stop us from using your information: This is known as the "right to object" and gives you the right to ask us to stop using your Personal Data when applicable.
- Rights relating to how we use your information to categorize you or make decisions about you: This is known as the "right in relation to automated decision-making and profiling": You have the right to be free from decisions we may make that are based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, if they produce a significant legal effect on you, unless such decision-making or profiling is necessary for entering into or performing a contract between you and us, or is made with your explicit consent.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to use your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect our use of your data before we received notice that you wished to withdraw your consent.
- Right to file a complaint with the supervisory authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the supervisory authority that is authorized to hear those concerns in your jurisdiction, although we invite you to Contact Us with any concern as we would be happy to try and resolve it directly.
The requests above will be considered and responded to in the time period stated by applicable law. Certain information may be exempt from such requests. We may require additional information from you to confirm your identity in responding to such requests.
If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 (or 16) has provided Personal Information "Contact Us" below with sufficient detail to enable us to delete that information from our databases.13. ACCESSIBILITY
PLEASE NOTE: YOU SHOULD ONLY CONTACT US AT THIS EMAIL FORM OR ADDRESS FOR PRIVACY RELATED CONCERNS, AND NOT FOR EDITORIAL, SUBSCRIPTION OR CONTENT-BASED ISSUES INCLUDING TAKE-DOWN REQUESTS RELATING TO YOUR NAME OR IMAGE APPEARING IN NEWS STORIES. PLEASE SEE OUR CORPORATE "Contact Us" PAGE INSTEAD FOR THOSE MATTERS.
- Email us through our Online Request Form
- Write us at: Gannett Media Corp., 175 Sully's Trail, Pittsford, NY 14534 Attn: Privacy Officer
Pursuant to Article 27 of the GDPR, Gannett has appointed a company called European Data Protection Office (EDPO) as its GDPR representative in the EEA. If you are an individual based in the EEA and/or UK, in addition to or alternatively to contacting us, you can also contact EDPO regarding matters pertaining to the processing of your Personal Data under GDPR as follows.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU SHOULD NOT CONTACT EDPO IF YOU ARE AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS A CITIZEN OF THE UK OR ANY EEA COUNTRY, BUT YOU ARE RESIDING IN, VISITING OR OTHERWISE LOCATED IN THE US AND YOU ARE ACCESSING OUR WEBSITES OR SERVICES FROM THE US. IN THAT CASE, PLEASE CONTACT GANNETT DIRECTLY AS PROVIDED ABOVE.